Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Doubles With Slight Pepper





The other day, I had a flashback when my co-worker, Joe, forwarded me a link to a short film named "Doubles with Slight Pepper." The name made me smile, but the clip of the film made me proud, inspired and hungry. :)

"Excuse, leh-meh geh ah doubles wit slight pepper please…. and ah red Solo!" For those of you who don't speak my language...check out my short description below.

Doubles are a tasty Indian food served by street vendors across Trinidad and Tobago. It's made up
of two pieces of special bread called bara and filled with channa (chickpeas) and topped with spicy
sauces made of tamarind, mango or cucumber. Red Solo is a sweet soda that is bright red and incredibly popular in Trinidad. I lived on this as a child at school, because it was cheap, fast and tasty.


Created by Canadian born Ian Harnarine, who parents hail from Trinidad, I knew I had to get the word out on this little indie flick. Filmed in Trinidad, it's an authentic look at culture, love, family and great food. The film is about the relationship between a young man who is a doubles vendor and his father who just returned from Canada to live in Trinidad. It goes into the the hardships they face as they try to reconcile their relationship.

Take a look at this wonderful short intro for "Doubles with Slight Pepper."

0 comments:

newer older