Sunday, September 30, 2007

TREND, TRENDY, TRENDIER






On my trip to London, I attended an advanced hair-cutting seminar hosted by Mahogany, an Austrailian company. This was exciting because I not ony learned a lot, but to my surprise the majority of the people at the seminar were American. I was able to share outlook on the beauty business, gain new insights and explore new creative techniques. Now on to the trends...

The first thing that I noticed was a difference in the hair culturally between the U.S. and the U.K. The difference I saw was that we use hair to recreate the shape of the face. For example, many stylist use a sweeping bang to create more of an oval shape on a round face. In London, the people I was exposed to illustrated that it had nothing to do with the face. It was all about recreating the shape of the head. Women were fearless when it came to their hair. They had no reservations about exposing their foreheads, ears, necks, chins, etc. You name it, it was exposed.

Yes, of course there were women with the common mousey shoulder length hair. To which it was clear, that the hair was their identity. It was refreshing to see women that were bold and willing to take risk. This attitude could be seen across the board regardless of race, hair texture or lifestyle.

Bobs are definitely on trend in the U.K (as well as in the rest of the world thanks to Mrs. Beckham) of all shapes and sizes. The disconnected bob was especially popular. Being that "the bob" is such a hot commodity, I enjoyed seeing trends altered. With trends, you have what I like to call the "followers" and the "creative rebels". Followers are those people that like to copy a look exactly as it appeared on their favorite celeb or magazine shoot. Creative rebels on the other hand, take the same trend and put a spin on it to make it their own.

In terms of color, brunette is the new Blonde. I know that this might upset some of you, but brunettes conquered the scene. Everywhere I went there were far more brunettes than there were blondes. During the day, I saw many brunettes with subtle highlights, and the look transitioned into a bit more dramatic at night with chunkier, bolder highlights and streaks of color. The more the better.

Curly hair was definitely embraced. Ladies pull out the defusers and own your natural beauty!

And, finally for the gents. Men in London across the board seem to appreciate hair, their own that is. Men's hair for the most part was freshly cut and overly caked with product. It was fair to say that there was a clear addiction to hair products.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hair beauty trends! That's fabulous!

antonio gonzales said...

Thank you,stay tuned for some fun topics which will be posted when I return from London.

newer older