Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TRINIDAD CARNIVAL






Here is a picture of my two friends and Carnival designers, Christopher Santos and Gregory Medina. They have been a blessing to have in my life. I was thrilled to spend some time with them.


My friend Sunil and me wearing head pieces that are being sent off to St. Martin for Carnival. Both Pieces were designed by Christopher Santos and Gregory Medina.


A big part of my creative influence was Carnival in Trinidad and Tobago. Not only is it the greatest show on earth, it's where my introduction into the world or the arts began. There is a huge island wide costume competition where children compete. When I was 8, my cousin entered a competition dressed as a huge Rose. It was about 8 feet wide and on wheels. She was in the middle of the rose; barely touching the floor. As she swirled across the stage (which seemed so big back then) behind her was yours truly! I was her mascot dressed as a rose bud in green tights from the neck down and a big rose on my head which fastened under my chin. I was in such a bliss that they had to drag me off the stage so the other kids could get a chance! And, Yes my friends a star was born at that very instant.

0 comments:

newer older