Wednesday, June 22, 2011

KINDLY ASK YOUR HAIRSTYLIST FOR A CLEAN HAIR BRUSHES!!






Did you know that a hairstylist using a brush full of someone else’s hair to style you is almost the same as brushing your teeth with someone else’s toothbrush?

As a client, there are many things you deserve and I’d like to touch on one of them today; clean hair brushes. Have you ever sat in your hairstylist’s chair and seen them reach for the brush only to catch a previous client’s hair staring right back at you? Well, I have. In my many years working in the beauty industry I’ve seen many a brunette pay good money for a style only to leave with someone else’s blonde hair on her shoulders, NOT COOL!

Ladies, gents, heed my words of experience and wisdom on a topic most hairstylists aren’t rushing to open up about. If you’ve never really considered it, let me offer you some food for thought… when a brush is used on a freshly shampooed head of hair, the hairstylist has no way of telling if the client has a scalp condition shampooing won’t get rid of and as the hair is being dried, the brush rubs up against the scalp, removing any debris (e.g. dead skin cells) and collecting some of it up in the bristles and if you happen to be “lucky” enough to follow her, you come in, hugging and kissing your stylist, completely unsuspecting of that seemingly innocent brush with a dirty little secret. Did someone say cross-contamination??? (lol!)

So here’s what I recommend; the next time you go to a salon and you see the stylist make the move to grab a dirty brush, go on a hit them with a Karate-CHOP! (just joking) No, but seriously, simply tell the stylist something along the lines of “Can you please use a clean brush on me?” Sit back and observe the stylist’s reaction; this teeny tiny request can cause one of two, the stylist will either apologize and quickly grab a clean one, or you’ll note the stylist’s embarrassment while he/she fumbles to find you a clean brush.

The reason I chose to write about this is because I want you, as the client, to know that you’re not being a nuisance; you have a right to a clean brush every single time you have your hair styled at a salon. Yeah, I said it; a clean brush is your RIGHT. I don’t know if you knew this but, the State Board of Cosmetology REQUIRES that clean and dirty brushes be kept separately from one another so as to avoid contamination like the kind I just described, so I’m not the only one telling you it’s your right, this is the law!

With all of what I’ve just shared with you, I hope you’re inspired to set the standard when it comes to what tools you allow a stylist to use while working on your hair…

I wish you all clean brushes and healthy scalps!!!

2 comments:

JG said...

As a fellow hairstylist, I completely agree! Your client should never have to search to see the actual brush! Yuk! All clients should be aware of their rights and an embarrassing moment may be just what some stylist's need to get the message! Great article!

JG said...

As a fellow hairstylist, I completely agree! Your client should never have to search to see the actual brush! Yuk! All clients should be aware of their rights and an embarrassing moment may be just what some stylist's need to get the message! Great article!

newer older