Thursday, September 24, 2009

IT BEGAN IN TRINIDAD & TOBAGO





TRINIDAD


The fact that my two hands can have such an impact on someone’s day or their life makes waking up in the morning all the more worth it.

My introduction to hair started when I met Anthony Medina. I was eighteen years old. Anthony is not only one of the greatest hairstylists that I have ever met but he is an incredible makeup artist and designer as well. You may ask, can one person have all this talent? Well, ladies and gentlemen, yes he can! I would sit and watch him make women feel like they were "reborn" with one hairstyle. He would tap into beauty that they never knew they had. I observed client after client leave "transformed” and I knew right then and there that I was born to be a hairstylist. I was just waiting to be discovered.

TOBAGO



The first time I left the island at age eighteen (was also my first time on a plane, too) was to visit the International Beauty Show at the Jacob Javitz center. Well, can I tell you, my jaw dropped! I could not believe my eyes. Anthony showed me the in and outs of the fashion & hair industries with the help of his close childhood friend and WORLD RENOWNED stylist, Freddie Lieba.(If you are anyone important in the world of photography, fashion and/or Hollywood, you’ve most likely been blessed with Freddie’s Trinidadian born talent.) After the Beauty Show whirlwind I was whisked off to the Bronx to meet another Trinidadian born master hairstylist who created many of his own techniques on hair extensions, Clem Lu Yat.

Nearly two decades ago, I was given the gift of knowing that I could make it in NYC. I could not have done it without these three men planting the seeds, which allowed me to have the never-ending passion to "do hair.”


Thanks my fellow Trinis.

Copyright © 2009 Antonio Gonzales, All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

CamilleCares said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. For personal reasons, I must return to TnT asap. It is great to see that fellow Trini's all share that common sadness of leaving yet that amazing feeling of coming to America and achieving that sought success.
As we continue to develop, grow and learn new things, we must remember where we started and return to our roots, to pave the way for more Trini's with dreams. We have yet to meet, but I am a FAN and I wish you the best for the Autumn 2009 and Spring 2010!
I also love the new site Commess is exactly what we need :)

antonio said...

Yay!!!! I'm so happy you feel that way, really!!

AFG

newer older