Sunday, December 13, 2009

TO THE BEAUTY SCHOOL STUDENT






CUTTING CLASS IS FINALLY A GOOD THING

First, I must thank all of the beauty school students who have written me e-mails asking questions and requesting career advice. I too was once a beauty school student with concerns regarding my future upon graduation. Inspired by the e-mails I’ve received, I decided to share a couple key things with you in this article. I hope that my words encourage you to always be yourself. On being an individual as you move forward.

There are two things I would recommend to anyone who is thinking of joining this amazing industry.

BE OPEN TO LEARNING

As with most salons, when someone new starts there is always the “settling in” period. There are new personalities, new surroundings and new techniques. I have been blessed to work with some fine stylists in the past and now with the Orlo Team trained by Orlando Pita. It has been a real learning experience.

My clients keep saying, “you know so much, do you still need to learn?” I smile at them and answer by saying “hell yes! In a city like NYC with such amazing talent there is a world of knowledge waiting to be discovered.”

As I advance in my career with smooth transitions, I liken myself to a sponge – absorbing all of the new techniques that I’m taught. If I had to say what it is that makes me excel in my field, it would be the ability to recognize what I don’t know and that which I need to be better at.

This ability has never failed to put me in a position of open-mindedness whereby I embrace new techniques that will inevitably change the direction of my career. No matter how much you think you know, there is always room to learn.

THE DESIRE TO SHARE

I have spent thousands of dollars on education al over the world and it is my duty to pass this knowledge on to those who want it. Now that I find myself in this wonderful position to learn from my new surroundings, it is also exciting to share what I have learned from masters like Anthony Medina, Sebastian, Vidal Sassoon, Mahogany, Bumble & Bumble and previous salons.
After all of this education, I now know that as a hairstylist it is extremely important to keep sharing what we know. This is what keeps our industry alive and I should give freely what was and continues to be given to me. The day I stop sharing is the day I leave this planet.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep those letters coming.

0 comments:

newer older