Tuesday, January 11, 2011

OWN YOUR HAIRCUT





Very early on, before becoming a hairstylist, I would usually enter a salon and innocently request a hairstyle from a magazine or choose a celebrity’s style to cut and paste onto myself. Back then I hardly gave any thought at all to whether or not the cut was 'right' for me. By that I mean, would the cut work with the shape of my face, the texture of my hair and all the other variables that should have gone into creating a style for me as an individual.

Ironically enough, it's those very concerns that go into creating the iconic styles I and virtually everyone else, at one time or another, have sought to adopt for ourselves. Rest assured a great deal of planning, decision making and care has gone into every style that has caught our eye on a cover, runway, screen or red carpet. The results are well worth the effort.

That's why today, after 20 years of refining my craft, I do everything in my power to gently guide my clients to seek their own personal identity and hairstyle as opposed to wearing someone else's’, regardless of how famous or currently fashionable that someone might be. After all, it's my job to help them celebrate their personal beauty by creating a great haircut just for them.

Here then is a list of the variables I consider for everyone in my chair before beginning to create that unique haircut for them;

1- What is the general shape of the face? Is it oval, round or square?










2- Is the forehead narrow or wide and is the hairline high? Keep in mind the shape of the forehead determines how much fringe you can wear successfully.


3- The ears are next. If they protrude and your hair is fine you may require a little lift as opposed to a straight and slick look. Remember, we're creating something for you and your ears are your ears so we must embrace what's given us. But with a little help from layering we can soften the ear area.

MY CUT


4- Now for the cheekbones. Are they pronounced? If not, opening up layers around the face will be helpful, while heaviness in this area will work against you.

5- On to the nose. If it is somewhat sharp care must be taken to create a haircut that does not make it look even sharper in profile.

6- The chin. In the case of a bob, for instance, the length should be guided by the shape of the chin and will make all the difference in the world.

MY CUT


7- Saving the best for last, we finally consider the neck and shoulders, so vital to any haircut. Nothing quite sets off the right haircut like a long sexy neck so we never should hide that kind of neck with too much hair. With a shorter neck, opening up the neck and shoulder area with layers will create the sexiness we seek.

I don't believe in encouraging my clients to try for someone else's look, not when they can look so much better as themselves.

I wish you beautiful hair.

AFG

0 comments:

newer older