Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer Concerts In NYC





If you're in the city for the next two months I have a heavenly recommendation for you. Last Sunday a friend invited me to hear him perform at the Church of the Holy Apostles on 28th Street and 9th Avenue. Arriving at 8pm, I found an impressive 35 strong orchestra set up on the church stage, known as the Litha Chamber Orchestra. The concert was called Vive La France and was conducted by Eric Hayslett. All the musicians, including my friend, were well dressed in black and beaming with excitement.


First on the program was Overture to La Fille du Regiment, by Gaetano Donizetti. 


I sat in this beautiful church with my eyes closed as the first sounds were emitted. It was transcendent! The night continued with music from other composers such as Georges Bizet, Maurice Ravel and Claude Debussy. My favorite performance was Pavane pourune Infant Defunte (Pavane for a Dead Princess). This is a well known piano solo written by French composer, Maurice Ravel. 
In total, the performance was about one hour long with an intermission. This was all new to me but I loved every second of their show. It was nothing short of magical and what’s best is that it’s only ten dollars!


Here is a short video from my phone:)




Check out their upcoming summer concerts. The dates are as follows:
  
July 28th - "Sounds of Summer" includes music from composers like Mozart, Vivaldi and Schubert.
August 25th - "Vacation Time" with music from composers Rossini William, Copland and Beethoven.
Both performances will be held at The Church of Holy Apostles and will start promptly at 8pm.
See you there!

0 comments:

newer older